The safe transportation of students is a responsibility shared by transportation staff, parents, and students. We are committed to providing safe vehicles and qualified drivers, along with school bus safety education, to students and parents.
If you have questions or need more information, please call us at (219) 767-2263, and ask for Mrs. Jackie Abshire.
The state of Indiana requires all students attend school for 180 days. If school is closed for any reason, students are required to make up the lost day(s). Therefore, school closings will continue to have an impact on all of our families.
The transportation system at South Central Community Schools is one of the best in the state. We have good equipment, qualified drivers, good communications, and a good support system.
South Central Community Schools is serving approximately 840 students. Transportation is provided to all students whom live in the district. Each bus will provide transportation for (K-12) grades. Our district has four major state highways: United State Route (6) (West and East Bound) to the north of the district, State Road (39) (North and South Bound) to the east of the district, United State Route (30) (West and East Bound) to the South of the district, and United State Route (421) (North and South Bound) to the West of the District. Having four major state roads in our district combines the difficulty of the safety of our transportation system. For this reason, the safety of our students and staff will always be first consideration at all times.
If roads are PASSABLE, we intend to have school. If roads are not passable at the beginning of the school day, we may delay the opening of school or close completely. If a storm happens during the day, we need your cooperation. Listed below are some things you should know and ways you may help. Please take some time to familiarize yourself with these procedures.
Terms You Should Know:
- SCHOOL DELAYED: This term means that school will start at a time later than normal. It is usually two hours, but could be shorter. A two hour delay would mean that if your child was to meet a bus at 7:20 a.m., the bus would come at 9:20 a.m. In such case that the delay is on a Wednesday, late start is not recognized, and the bus will come two hours later than the NORMAL start time.
- SCHOOL CLOSED: This term is used if school is closed for the entire day. It also means all events for the day will be canceled and rescheduled. This day is made up with flex days built into the school calendar. Lost days in excess of five will be made up at the end of the school year.
- EARLY DISMISSAL: This term is used when a storm or other emergency makes it necessary to close school early. It may pertain to one school or the whole corporation.
- BUS TURN AROUND: This term is used if we attempt to open school and find conditions worsening. It may be necessary to return the buses home immediately. Our communications system will allow us to do this if necessary. This will result in a lost school day with it made up.
- Always dress your child appropriately. If a bus has a problem, warm clothing will be necessary.
- Make sure your child can get into the house and knows what to do in case of early dismissal, late start, or bus turn around. You should plan ahead for such occurrences so your child is not left in a dangerous situation.
- You are requested NOT to contact the school about whether schools will be opened or closed. Phone lines are important to the schools in assessing the situation. It is understandable that it may be necessary to contact the school; however, you should make arrangements ahead of time for your child(ren).
- You should be familiar with your bus driver. If you have questions about the route, you should contact your driver. Many drivers have developed a phone tree to relay emergency information to the riders.
- You should always ASSUME school is open unless you are notified otherwise by the media.
A decision to close school is normally made in the morning. Only unusual circumstances will necessitate closing school the night before. Decisions are usually made before 6:30 a.m.; however, changing conditions could delay the announcement to a later time.
School Reach will be utilized to notify families as soon as possible of weather related delays or closings. This rapid calling system will call all phone numbers provided to the school as alert phone numbers. If you have a change to your contact information, please inform the school so that our system can be updated accordingly.
The South Central Community Schools will continue to make use of the "We Are Closed Today" online media notification system to notify area radio and television stations of weather related school announcements. The "We Are Closed Today" system was designed by the Northern Indiana Educational Services Center on behalf of public schools in northern Indiana. The online application is designed to help schools and other organizations notify media outlets in the event of a delay, closure, or early dismissal.
Local radio stations broadcasting the South Central Community School's weather related school announcements include the following:
- Valpo's WAKE AM (105.5)
- LaPorte's WLOI AM (1540) & (96.7) FM
- Michigan City WIMS AM (1420) & (98.0) FM
- Michigan City WEFM FM (96.0)
- Knox WKVI FM (99.3)
- South Bend's WNDU-TV (Channel 16)
- WSBT-TV (Channel 22)
Community members may register with "We Are Closed Today" and receive email and/or text message notification when any of their selected schools delay, close, or dismiss early due to weather conditions. In addition to specific notifications, anyone may go to www.weareclosedtoday.com, enter their zip code, choose a radius, and see all the delays or closings within that area.
For more information, visit the "We Are Closed Today" website at http://www.weareclosedtoday.com or contact Graham Pearson of the Northern Indiana Educational Services Center by telephone at 866-254-5322 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
The School Status module on the upper right corner of the school web page will also be updated as soon as any changes are made to the school day. Check the Stop Light for details:
- Green means "School is in session"
- Yellow means "School is delayed"
- Red means "School is canceled"
Driver Bus Number Mrs. Yvette Battleday 14-1 Mr. Bob Clark 13-2 Mrs. Patricia Clark 13-1 Mrs. Stacy DeYoung 15-2 Mrs. Joy Dunlap 19-2 Ms. Jill Jamrozy 15-1 Mrs. Starlia Marks 19-1 Mrs. Stephanie Mendoza 17-1 Mrs. Jammie Metzinger 17-2 Mrs. Tammy Moser 18-1 Mrs. Sarah Notaro 18-2 Mrs. Sue Satoski 14-2 Mr. Michael Schultz 16-3 Mr. Earl Werner 11-1 Mrs. Pam Williams 16-2